How many times have you wanted to pull your hair out because you knew that there had to be a way to love your work but you couldn’t see it. Have you wanted to do something that matters to you and to the world but don’t know how.
For me it was “There has to be more than earning a living. I want to live my life. I want to see my kids before their grown. I want to spend time with the beautiful woman I married. We said to death do us part but now it seems like To work do us part. Is work, death? Is this the way it’s supposed to be? How can I live the life I want and make money?”
Then I got around a group of people who lived differently. They seemed to have their cake and eat it too. They were doing what they loved and not only making enough to survive but enough to thrive. It was contagious. I couldn’t help but want what they had and my first bite was all that I needed to know that it was possible for me to live my dream as well. And if it can happen for me it can happen for you. Am I there yet? Nope but I’m well on my way. And if you are ready to find what you love and throw yourself into making a way then you can come as well.
Do you have to know what you want to start? Nope. All I knew was what I didn’t want. I had a level of disgust with where I was to just make the decision that enough was enough and I learned the rest along the way. It wasn’t until a year later that I started to realize what I was really passionate about. What I wanted to do with my life. The impact that I want to make.
The way I came to the realization of what I really wanted was by answering some very different and unique questions for myself for the first time ever. The questions here are some of those that lead me to finding what I love they are worded a bit different and there were many more but I believe these are a good start to finding ones purpose and passion. Take your time cut off your notifications get by yourself and answer honestly. You might hesitate and try to answer with what you think others would want you to say. Don’t. If what you really love is being a mom or driving a BMW write it down. You will only get out of this what you put in so Gods 11th commandment is now effective and it says Thou shall not kid thy self. Sorry if that offends you. Sort of. Lighten up. Have fun with this. See you on the other side.
1. What do you love to do?
2. What are your strengths? What are you best at?
3. What excites you? Makes you feel most alive?
4. What do you always find yourself sharing or talking about?
5. When was the last time you got lost in your work? What were you doing?
6. What do you always over deliver on?
7. Lets say Bill Gates gives you $300million. Three years from now what will you be doing on a day to day basis?
8. If you knew you couldn’t fail what would you do?
9. Would you continue to do the work you do if you didn’t get paid for it?
10. Is there something inside of you that you can’t not do?
11. Do you have a dream or an idea that you don’t just want to exist but you believe deserves to exist? What is it? (Could be a course, a business, a service, a product, a piece of music or art. Use your imagination.)
12. What are you always happy and excited to help people with?
13. Who inspires you? Why?
14. Who do you want to become? What characteristics do you want? What skills? Why?
15. If you could make a statement with your life what would it be?
16. If you could sit through your own funeral 100 yrs from now, what would you want your spouse, children, friends or community to say about you? How do you want to be remembered?
17. When was the last time you were so excited about what you were about to do that you couldn’t sleep? What was it and why did it fire you up?
18. What are your top 3 dream jobs/businesses? Why are those special to you?
19. If you could create a masterpiece, a piece of art that embodied all of who you are and connected on a deep level with others and left them inspired and in a state of awe What would it be?
(A speech, a book, an idea, a movement, song, dance, service, business, lesson, painting or maybe a story.) Dont count yourself out because of the word art. Art is only an expression of the human soul fully alive. So art can be anything, what will yours be?
20. Who do you know or where can you find someone who is where you want to be or who has the qualities or characteristics that you desire? What do they do differently than you? Imitate them. Ask them to mentor you.
21. One year from today you wake up and spend some time reflecting over the past year. What 1 goal would you be proud to have accomplished? Same thing for 3 years, 5 years, 10 years.
How can you take what you love mixed with your unique skills and talents and make a profit?
What art can you create that people want and need? Remember art can be anything.
There is someone who has your same passions who earns a profit doing what they love. What are they doing?
The same applies with your skills and talents. What are others doing to earn an income with your same talents?
It may be a little harder to find someone who shares your passions and talents who is designing a life around doing what they love but they are out there. They may be in a different industry or have slightly different passions but you can still use them as a model.
The point is people all over the world wake up with a fire in their gut to do what they love everyday and they get paid for it. Some enough to enjoy the life of living their passions. Some enough to help others live their passion (like a friend of mine who makes a living serving others and is able to also fund several missionaries who’s passion is to take a message of hope to places no one else wants to go). Some even make millions every year. Will everyone? Nope. Not everyone has that passion or drive. And the point isn’t to make millions it’s to find Freedom. Freedom to do what they love whatever that may be.
What does freedom look like for you?